True Diner75 Bridge St
Phone: (860) 456-2916
Status: Closed or missing
Last Updated: March 7, 2018
Originally operated as Egan’s Diner on West Main St. in Waterbury, the diner was later in Willimantic as Windham Diner till 1971 (at approximately 639-641 Main St.), then moved to Southington for awhile, operating as G. Otto’s Hiway Diner, at 72 Queen St., until 1986. At that location, it had a different vestibule, possibly built by DeRaffele. [Larry Cultrera] From 1987 to at least 1993, it operated 1047 S. Main St., Waterbury (at the NE corner with Lounsbury St.), as Valley Diner [Tim Wood, Randy Garbin, Larry Cultrera]), then returned to Willimantic and reopened as Mickey’s in 2005, with the addition of a Big Boy statue (still in outdoor storage elsewhere on site). Closed for some time, it was later connected to Jonathan’s Cafe, a large college-oriented nightclub, until detached in late August 2016 and moved to the edge of Bridge Street and put up for sale.
As of 19 Sept. 2017, it was reported that the diner will be moved and renovated, and installed as a replacement for the long-gone Wayne Junction Diner, on an empty lot at approximately 125 Berkley Street (Cty-4009) near the Wayne Junction rail station in the Germantown section of North Philadelphia. Developer Ken Weinstein previously set up the Trolley Car Diner & Deli in Mount Airy and the Trolley Car Cafe in East Falls (and soon another in University City). [Thanks to Larry Cultrera]