True Diner196 Wilbur Cross Hwy (Us-5 / Rt-15)
Phone: (860) 828-1321
Status: Open for business
Last Updated: April 25, 2017
Condition: Significant changes
Originally Berlin Diner (as indicated by the “BD” still visible in the wrought-iron railing, later Mary’s Diner (starting about 1958), which became Mary’s Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge with the Dec. 1963 addition of a large extension on the north end that is now a separate liquor store.
Heavily done over, but retains original floor, counter, and footing on one side. Other side gutted and converted to dining, but within original walls. Dining extension is part of 1963 lounge expansion. Much more than just pizza, this place is also famous for its hotodogs, and serves steamed cheeseburgers (5-8 p.m. only). Besides a more traditional diner menu of popular short-order fare, they also have beer and wine. Fine-ground house-made chili available for take-home.