On-site559 Colebrook Rd (CT-183)
Phone: (860) 379-5031
Status: Open for business
Winter: Mon.-Sat. 6 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sun. 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Last Updated: May 10, 2017
NW corner w/ Rockwell Rd. (CT-182A)
Easily the oldest listing we have, this 18th Century general store was for a long time thought to have been built and opened in 1812. Recent historical work, however, has concluded that it was built and opened 1792. It was built by local carpenter William Swift (who mainly made bedsteads), a late example of the Adam style, though it was renovated at least once during the 19th Century.
The store still sells general goods, including drinks, candy, and tobacco, and has a deli and short-order kitchen, plus ice cream and eclairs. The store also does catering and hosts some local events, and has seating indoors and out.
National Register of Historic Places Reference Number: 76001980