True Diner496 Main St (CT-183)
Phone: (860) 379-4429
Status: Open for business
Last Updated: Feb. 19, 2018
Originally Winsted Grill. According to local lore, the diner was delivered by rail, which would have meant to what was then Winsted Station at the approximate location of modern-day Depot and Bridge Streets, then moved across Mad River on a temporary bridge built for the purpose. (The rail to Winsted was abandoned in 1938, and torn up by a decade later.) Original owners were Louis and Edward Venicia. Other owners have included Hoppy DeGuzman, Art Peck, Andy Tobak, and Carol and Bob Radoccio (1973-2005). Jean Bauer ran it 2005-12, before current owner Asa Flint.
Original steel ceiling has been replaced with attractive stained wood slatting. Exterior covered in broad clapboard. Diner otherwise mostly unchanged. Generous covered outdoor seating expanding on limited stool-only seating inside. While the larger region is dotted with many newer and larger diners, Winsted is among the shrinking number that maintain the look and feel of early diners, including the warm service and great food.